the Land of Olive and Olive Oil where our products are derived from
Messinia, the Land of Olive and Olive Oil is an immense olive grove. The favorable climate, the sunshine, the small lot that allows each producer to care for each olive tree and pick up the produce just at the right degree of ripening, guarantees the excellent quality of the raw material.
The tradition of Messinia in the production of olive oil goes way back. It was in Messinia, in the Palace of Nestor in Pylos, where the word "olive" was written for the first time in Linear B writing, dating back to the 13th century BC.
During the Mycenaean period, the oil produced in Messinia was already one of the main products of the rural economy of the region. Both during the classical and the Hellenistic periods, oil production in the Peloponnese and Messinia showed a continuous increase.
In the 11th century, Koroni and Methoni became the ports from which the Italians exported significant quantities of olive oil to the West.
In 1704, oil production in the venetian Messinia, amounted to 16,139 barrels (approximately 1,000 tons) compared to the 19,159 barrels of the Peloponnesian production as a whole. In the middle of the 18th century, many English and French merchants who traded oil settled in Koroni, Methoni and Navarino, proving that Peloponnesian oil exports were of interest to all Europeans.